UMi Z is a 2017 flagship smartphone from UMi. It is the first smartphone to be powered by the 10-core Helio X27 chipset, Mediatek’s 2017 flagship chipset. UMi Z looks a lot like the UMi Plus from the front, but there are a few tweaks on the back and of course some major changes inside.
Where to Buy UMi Phones
Gearbest – See Offers | AliExpress – See Offers | Jumia Nigeria – See Offers
The Design and Display
The UMi Z shares a similar look with the UMi Plus, though it is slightly slimmer at 8.2mm. It comes with a metal unibody design crafted from the same premium aluminium alloy. You still get the fingerprint sensor below the screen and two grilles still sandwich the USB Type C port on the lower side of the phone.
The UMi Z drops the dedicated camera button on the left side. You will also notice a few changes on the back. The rear camera has moved from a central position to the left, while a quad-tone LED flash have been provided.
UMi Z sports a 5.5-inch IGZO Display from Sharp. This is a new display with support for 95% colour gamut and 20% less power consumption. The display offers 1080 x 1920 pixels resolution. The entire front is covered with Dragontrail glass.
UMi Z sports the same Samsung S5K3L8 sensor as the UMi Plus E and UMi Plus for its rear camera. However, this time the same 13 megapixels sensor is used for both the front and rear cameras. This means great photos whether you use the front or rear camera.
UMi Z has a soft flash for the selfie camera and a quad-LED flash for the rear camera. The rear camera supports both laser autofocus and phase detection autofocus. It can also record 4K videos.
Hardware and Software
UMi Z will come with stock Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) out of the box, though Android 7.0 (Nougat) OTA update will be available by the time you are buying the device.
It is powered by the Mediatek Helio X27, which offers a 3-cluster deca-core processor. The processor consists of two quad-core ARM-A53 clocked at up to 2.0GHz and 1.6GHz respectively and a dual-core ARM-A72 clocked at 2.6GHz.
The processor is more efficient claiming 30% less power consumption. It is paired with the quad-core 875MHz ARM-Mali-T880 MP4 GPU. This GPU is 83% more powerful than the GPU on the X20.
UMi Z has 4GB of RAM. It comes with 32GB built-in storage capacity. You can add up to 256GB additional storage via a microSD slot.
The UMi Z supports two Nano-SIM slots with the secondary SIM also doubling as the microSD slot. The phone supports dual-band Wi-Fi and Cat-6 LTE with download speeds of up to 300Mbps.
Like UMi’s 2016 linup, the LTE bands supported by the UMi Z include the bands B1, B3, B7, and B20. This means the UMi Z will still not support 4G LTE in the United States.
In Nigeria, the UMi Z will support 4G LTE on MTN, Etisalat, NTel, Smile, and InterC, while in Ghana and Kenya you can connect via MTN and Safaricom respectively.
Pricing and Availability
Umi Z launched on December 23, 2016. You can buy the smartphone at Gearbest for $279.99 (Click Here). It is also available at online retailers like Chinavasion and AliExpress.
The Umi Z may endup selling on Jumia Nigeria as some of the older models from the company are currently being offered by an international third party seller. When that happens, Umi Z price in Nigeria should range from 105,000 Naira and 130,000 Naira.
UMi Z Specs
Here specs of the UMi Z Smartphone:
- Platform: Android 7.0 (Nougat), Stock Android
- Processor: Deca-core Processor: 1.6GHz quad-core, 2.0GHz quad-core, 2.6GHz dual-core (Mediatek Helio X27 MT6797)
- GPU: ARM Mali-T880 MP4
- Memory: 4GB RAM
- Colours: Gray, Gold
- Dimension: XX x XX x 8.2 mm
- Weight: 175 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Dual-SIM, Dual Standby
- Display: 5.5-inch IGZO Display, 1080 x 1920 pixels (400 ppi)
- Screen Protection: 2.5D Dragontrail Glass, Full Lamination
- Rear Camera: 13 MP Camera, 2160p Ultra HD 4K Video
- Rear Camera Features: Autofocus (Laser and PDAF), Quad-LED (quad-tone) Flash, Geo-tagging, Panorama
- Front Camera: 13 MP Camera, Selfie Flash
- Built-in Storage: –
- Memory Card Support: Yes, up to 256GB (requires SIM2 slot)
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900MHz
- 2G CDMA 1X: No
- 3G WCDMA: 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100MHz
- 3G CDMA EVDO: No
- 4G LTE: Yes (VoLTE)
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes, up to 48kbps
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes, up to 21Mbps
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: No
- 4G LTE: Yes, up to 300 Mbps
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes, Bluetooth 4.1
- NFC: No
- Infrared Blaster: No
- USB Port: Yes, USB Type C
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: –
- Music Player: Yes, mp3, WAV, FLAC, eACC+
- Video Player: Yes, MPEG4, H.263, H.264, XviD
- FM Radio: Yes
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: Yes, GPS with A-GPS, GLONASS
- Maps: Yes, Google Maps
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: No
- Pedometer: No
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes
- Iris Scanner: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Wireless Charging: No
- Water Resistant: No
- Dust Resistant:
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: No (download at store)
- Document Viewer: No (download at store)
- Document Editor: No (download at store)
- Battery: 3780 mAh Li-Po Battery (Non-Removable)
- Standby Time: –
- Talktime: –
- Gaming Time: –
- Video Playback: –
- Music Playback: –
- Fast Charging: Yes, 1 day charge in just 30 minutes, full charge in 100 mins (PE+)